Choose Your Own Adventure at This Year’s Block Party!April 4, 2019
The artists’ precinct at St Leonards throws open its doors for an eclectic block party every year – join them this year for the ultimate creative adventure with something to discover around every corner.
Did you know we have the fastest growing creative precinct in the nation right here on the lower North Shore? In 2013, the TWT Creative Precinct in St Leonards was established to encourage and support the arts. This involved converting several commercial buildings in Chandos and Atchison Streets into creative spaces for the independent art sectors. Fast forward to 2019 and the TWT Creative Precinct is now home to over 70 artists. This April, the community is warmly invited to come and celebrate local arts and culture at the Precinct’s ultimate Block Party.
The event is now in its sixth year, and this year’s Block Party theme is ‘Evolve’, which highlights the evolution of the Precinct and celebrates the growing number of success stories, including artists and businesses, that have thrived in the space.
On the night, guests can choose their own adventure as they wind through the streets of the Creative Precinct, stopping to take in a live workshop by a resident artist, sample food from a variety of food trucks, take a kung fu class or enjoy the musical stylings of a local musician. They will also be treated to art exhibitions, live performances, a fashion parade, cinema and the unveiling of a brand-new public mural painted by Australian artist and illustrator, Thomas Jackson.
There will be much to celebrate too. With many artists being pushed out of the city due to the lack of workspaces and high rents, the Creative Precinct was a simple solution to provide dedicated spaces to support and promote artists and small creative businesses. It was the initiative of Australian-based company TWT Property Group, and since it opened it has grown to more than 4,500sqm of subsidised space, making it one of the largest creative workspace precincts in the country.
Director of TWT Property Group, Gavin Zhang said, “At TWT Property, we pride ourselves on playing an active role in the community, which includes encouraging artists, performers and creative businesses to flourish through our arts initiatives. This annual event presents an opportunity for the whole community to get to know the amazing local talent we have in Sydney, and above all, have a great evening.”
Not to be missed events at this year’s Block Party include:
- Mural: Unveiling of a large public mural at 7:30pm by Thomas Jackson who is known for his artwork that pays homage to the natural wildlife and landscapes of Australia
- Student showcase: Four stand-out artists of UNSW’s 2017 & 2018 TWT Excellence prize will showcase their artworks; Jessica Long, Carmen Glynn-Braun, Dennis Golding and Billy Bain
- Artist exhibition: Emerging artists who are a part of the precinct will showcase their latest work
- Musical performance: Cam Nacson, a Sydney born singer-songwriter, who has toured Australia and the USA as a solo performer and supporting act for Maroon 5, will be performing live. He is a resident of the precinct’s Collective Sound Studios which has produced and recorded a number of local Australian artists
- Cinema: Film production, distribution and event cinema company, Arcadia, which is located in the Creative Precinct will be showing short films at the cinema.
- Live performance: Stalker Theatre, one of Australia’s leading physical theatre companies known for their production of innovative, inter-disciplinary, physical and visual theatre will perform.
- For the kids: there will be face painting and a chocolate Easter egg hunt
The Block Party is being held between 5:30pm to 9:30pm on Friday, 12th April 2019.
For more details about the Creative Precinct or Block Party visit: http://twtproperty.com.au